Monday, January 15, 2007

Frodo to the Extreme

It's an epic battle against good and evil... It's a foe that sees all and hears all... It's a tiny band of unknowing, guileless little flip-flopping people walking out of Bag-End....

It's the hobbits!

Apparently it's us.

"You are," my dad's colleague said about our plans to move with our baby to D.C., "Frodo to the Extreme."

Excuse me? Whether Mr. D was referring to D.C. as Mordor or to me as a hobbit-looking Little Person is debatable. The fact is that we look rather small wandering out of the mid-mountain-west with earnest naivety.
The fact is, Mr. D. told us, we're heading into an adventure.

An adventure?

According to Don Everts, a campus pastor at CU, "An adventure happens when during at least one point you wish you were not in the middle of it."

Not reassuring words, but truthful nonetheless.
Frodo and Sam had many moments of deep longing for the Shire.

But it takes a first step to see what comes next, and as Gandalf told Frodo about Bilbo's journey: "I merely nudged him out the front door."

For Mr. D., our path to (Mordor?) this summer to navigate (D.C.'s roaming trolls and orcs?) will be one of epic proportions.

I'm sure it will.

But still, I'm not sure how I feel about being likened to a hobbit.

Couldn't I be Galadriel?

EC

No comments: