Friday, April 27, 2007

All for The People!

I'm not sure if anyone had the chance to see the Democratic Presidential Debate in South Carolina last night. EC and I watched it on MSNBC.com.

After watching the debate, I have a new least favorite Democratic candidate. You can say what you want about Hillary Clinton -- but at least admit she is extremely bright, politically astute, highly determined and overall, a strong candidate for the D's.

John Edwards (leading in most polls last time I checked), however, laid out a set of populist platitudes almost-but-not-quite-worthy of Orson Welles' semi-fictional character Charlie Kane, another extraordinarily wealthy white guy spouting populist, near demaguagic rhetoric, all in the name of "The People."

Reminds me of folks in Colorado who loudly support "direct democracy" efforts like the ballot initiative process, then tap their multi-million dollar campaign budget to run a ballot initiative that serves the interest of their own pet issue.

Ah, democracy.

We do not live in a democracy. Never have. This is a Republic, and I am thankful that this is so.

BC

No comments: