Friday, May 4, 2007

Sine Die = "The Last Adjournment"

I know I've said some kind of cynical things about politics and government in the last couple of months, but now on the last day of the 2007 legislative session in Colorado, I can genuinely say that I will miss walking over to the Capitol for work every day. After the last four months, I might have only added fuel to the fire of my interest in politics, policy and government. It's an unfortunate condition, I suppose, but one that I should probably figure out how to manage now.

After spending a few months in belly of the beast, I have created a short Cliff's Notes-style taxonomy of political ideologies:

Libertarian: For this breed, the freer the market, the better. Vote against any tax of any kind, all the time. If a pure libertarian, vote pro-choice in abortion issues, anti-gun control, anti-industry regulation, and pro-gay marriage. Actively try to dismantle the government, piece by piece. Patron saint: Milton Friedman.

Liberal/Leftist: Well-meaning, good-intentioned, brilliant and well-educated. Horribly misguided. Attempts constantly to remedy social, industry and cultural problems with tax increases to fund more and more programs upon programs. Blissfully ignorant of their worldview's Marxist origins. Patron saint: Ted Kennedy.

Populist: A demagaugic, cranky and egalitarian lot. Resentful and inarticulate. Appeals to base human emotions. Patron saint: Lou Dobbs.

Conservative: To be continued...

No comments: