Monday, July 2, 2007

Kansas Cliches, Debunked

Kansas, like its Midwestern cousin to the north, Iowa, sports a pretty bland reputation -- you know the drill: Whenever anyone wants to summarize the boring, the flat, or the prudish in America -- they reference Kansas.

Well my friends, I like Kansas. Specifically, I like Lawrence, home of the University of Kansas and lively Massachusetts Avenue (similar in character to Boulder's Pearl Street or Madison's State Street). The folks who cite Kansas as painfully mainstream or bland have probably never heard of Lawrence, where the dreadlocked and hipper-than-thou far outnumber the crewcutted and straight-laced (new words abound).

I wish I had brought a digital camera to post a few images of the prairie city of 80,000, but unfortunately (fortunately?) all our possessions have been boxed and prepared for the move to Virginia.

Before walking around the streets of downtown Lawrence a bit, I ate at the Free State Brewing Company, a bustling two-level brewpub housed in a historically-renovated building. If asked, "BC, what kind of eating/drinking establishment is your type of place?" I would probably respond, "A place like the Free State Brewing Company in Lawrence, Kansas." (Again, pictures would be useful here).

Gotta run, folks. Time to prepare for another day on the road tomorrow: Onward through America's Midwest, to Indianapolis, Indiana.

BC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As one of my KS transplanted, Lincoln-ite Husker fans would say... Rock Chalk Jayhawk!! ...or, something like that.

Anonymous said...

http://www.kansastravel.org/lawrence/07freestate1.JPG This honestly doesn't do Free State justice, what with the lack of activity in the picture, but this is the best picture i could find. Did you happen to go to Jefferson's? They're great too, and so was Penny Annie's when they were on Mass St. Honestly, though, Lawrence is full of hipsters. Try walking a block downtown without seeing one. I just happened to see the date of this post--I hope my sudden comment doesn't seem too creepy, I just really like it here.