Wednesday, October 10, 2007

DHE - Dept. of the Heavens & the Earth

Via the Crunchy Conservative, here is a blog devoted to "green conservatives" (with Robert Cizik, government affairs guru at the National Association of Evangelicals, as one of the blog's contributors).

As EC knows, I hate the term "environment." Why? It's stale, boring and abstract. How about "the heavens and the earth"? It's worked for millenia -- why now do we refer to our natural world as "the environment"? Would Genesis 1 have the same poetic rhythm with "In the beginning, God created...the environment"?

How about it, GAO? From now on, the Division of Natural Resources & Environment (NRE) will be called the Division of the Heavens & the Earth (DHE)?

For a very intriguing, self-critical report from within the environmental movement, check out "The Death of Environmentalism." It's a fascinating case study on how public policy goals cannot be achieved in the long-term without a spiritual vision, moral imagination, or some kind of broad cultural narrative. Wonkish, technical policy/legal/budgetary proposals aren't enough -- you need the so-called "myth-makers" as well.

BC

1 comment:

seth said...

I now make a motion to approve the change to DHE!

All in favor...

Made me laugh my friend, I know I don't comment enough, keep firing them off, people are reading :) At least I am from time to time!