Sunday, November 4, 2007

Faith in the Flesh

Today over our post-church bagels I read an interesting article in Commentary Magazine that resonated with some experiences I've had at work. The article, entitled Faith in the Flesh, was written by R.R. Reno, a devout Christian and professor of theology at Creighton University. (Unfortunately the online version is subscriber only so I can't link to it here.)

Reno reflects on the complexity of outward faith as his observant Jewish daughter comes of age. Many of his thoughts are raw as he writes of watching his wife and children apply their Jewish faith to their physical bodies -- through circumcision and kosher lifestyles. He wonders at his own Christianity and his ability to apply his faith so tangibly to his life. He wonders if, in the Christian faith, nothing needs to be submitted to God "other than the fine sentiments of the heart."

"My daughter... however, could not eat cheeseburgers, and her friends found this remarkable. Her very mouth was trained and set apart, day by day. And me? Jesus teaches that what goes into the mouth is not important; what matters is what comes out. And yet what came out of my mouth seemed so generic, so easily molded into the progressive platitudes of our age."

Reno's observations got me thinking about a recent exchange with one of my superiors at work, who is Jewish. Over dinner on a business trip we were describing our religious backgrounds, and she told us about the tight community she has through her Jewish temple. Judaism, she pointed out, is based on community and is not focused on proselytizing. This made sense to me, and I told her so. After all, I said, the Jewish people simple are: they are God's chosen people. There is no going out to bring in more chosen people. As Christians, we are also sons and daughters of God, but we each have to ask to become adopted into that family, and we believe that anyone can ask. I understood the silent skepticism at the table. Indeed, Christianity is simple sounding. It is simple, says C.S. Lewis, but it is not easy. Or at least, it's not supposed to be.

Reno asks: "Has modern Christianity rejected the very idea that God's commandments can shape or control how we use our bodies?"

He quotes a passage from a book written by an Orthodox Jewish rabbi during the Holocaust:

"How many noblemen bowed down before the cross in a spirit of abject submission and self-denial, confessed their sins with scalding tears and bitter cries, and in the very same breath, as soon as they left the dim precincts of the cathedral, ordered that innocent people be cruelly slain."


If our Christian faith is as easy as confessing our sins with "scalding tears and bitter cries" and then marching out and proceeding to gratify the desires of our flesh... I cannot blame my Jewish colleague for her skepticism over "simple Christianity."

My Jewish colleagues are marked and known by their outward expressions of faith -- through circumcision and kosher lifestyles. People know they are Jewish because their lives literally look different. Reflecting on this has made "circumcision of the heart" a very interesting analogy. Yes, it sounds nice. But circumcision hurts. It leaves a scar.

And in the end, shouldn't it also make me look different?

-EC

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post. This really reminded me of things like the old Catholic practice of fasting from meat every Friday (now only observed during Lent). Or, for that matter, fasting for at least an hour before Mass. In my life there have been many times where I have had to decline an offer, invitation, or other situation simply because of the obedience my faith asks of me. I actually think a lot of Catholic-Christian devotion and ritual comes from this initial notion of the entire body being involved in our faith, so we can outwardly express what we believe through simple, daily practices.

A quick anecdote: My friend and I were at a pub eating dinner and having a couple drinks. When food came, we made the sign of the cross, prayed, and made the sign of the cross again. A man walked past us smiled and said, "Bless you guys, bless you".

Outward expressions of faith, even innocuous ones, have made very big differences indeed...fitting that our Christian heritage comes from Jewish tradition.

EL

Crunchy Mama said...

Agreed, EL. And in addition to spiritual disciplines that we practice to draw near to God(such as fasting, prayer, meditation, Scripture study), I wonder if some differences between Judaism and Christianity are that we also experience the outward fruits of inner circumcision: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, self control... It is by grace we are saved, and through faith that we allow Him to change us... EC