Friday, August 10, 2007

Gov. Romney Interview With Jan Mickelson

As the Iowa straw poll looms tomorrow, BC and I have been discussing certain characteristics of Mitt Romney that we find interesting, and well, kind of creepy. His performance in several debates is eerily reminiscent of scenes from The Manchurian Candidate. David Brooks of the NYT said today, "I suspect the Romney campaign would do even better if it let the real Mitt Romney out to play." But according to Mitt, the "real" Romney must stay indoors, because, he says, "a candidate for president of the United States must always be 'on.'"
Does this mean that the "real" Romney has to stay "off" in order to win voters?
This video has been circulating as an example of a rare unplugged Mitt moment. The content of the exchange regards Romney's Mormonism.
Watch the clip. What do you think: When it comes to his Mormon faith, how should Mitt Romney "play?" And could it, indeed, should it have an effect on his candidacy for President?

-EC

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow...you know, I think Mitt Romney has a tough go at it. And the reason why I think that is this: Any time ANYONE brings up his Mormon faith, and he as a faithful Mormon stands up for his beliefs, it will be difficult for him to be consistent. I say that with a "one inch deeper than the surface" level knowledge of Mormonism. In my opinion, a faith that has no logical boundaries is very hard to follow, and the deeper you get into Mormonism, the harder it is to find consistencies.

So in some ways, I feel bad for the guy. And, in his defense, I would get relatively frustrated if I could only get a half sentence out before the radio guy got to cut me off and make his point for me. That's always annoying. Let's pass a law against that. The "anti-radio show host interrupting to push own agenda" amendment.

That being said: I agree with the host. I can't separate Mitt from Mormon, and neither should he. And he gets into rhetoric laden debates about the laws of his church? What does that say about the laws of his church? Shouldn't they be a little less....relativistic?

EML